Friday, April 04, 2008

E-Music and Me

I just read this article on ABC's new site that's talking about big name artists Jay-Z and Madonna jumping ship from major labels, who apparently just dont get it yet, instead taking multimillion dollar deals with concert promoter Live Nation.

OK yea, I get it, people are addicted to ipods and itunes. CD's are overpriced and the labels are ripping everyone, including the artists off.

I hate major labels, yes. But where I have a problem with all of this is, I like record stores. And I'm not totally on the internet music bandwagon yet. Call me old fashioned but when I buy something I like to have it in my hands afterwards.

I guess I sort of have it set in my head that if music that is online, its music someone already went to the record store and bought.. and that gives me the comfort in knowing that there will be a physical copy I can buy for myself. A CD with artwork lyrics and stuff, in a record store where I can browse and thumb through other CD's.

I dunno, maybe I need to get with the times and realise music is just data and the concept of an album as a work of art is just no more.

7 comments:

jimbizzle said...

It's called an iPod son. Get it, love it, live it!

Anonymous said...

Ive got an iPod and I'm only 19, but I still like to browse CDs too. The only problem is that the CDs I want to have in my hands are usually old and obscure, so I have to buy them on eBay. But anyway, I know a lot of other people who also like to have a real copy, even vinyl. The people who like pop will of course move exclusively to digital files, but they're the ones who don't buy that much music anyway, so I think the real artists will always like to release their stuff in a medium that allows them to have some graphical art as well as musical.

Anonymous said...

Interesting site.

You've got to remember, because they're focus is more-so on digital distribution, it doesn't mean that they won't have records in stores. You don't have to be signed to any label to have a distribution deal, which is what these artists will do.

Anonymous said...

Excuse my horrible use of the word "their".

Anonymous said...

I agree completely. I like to buy the physical CD. It feels much more like you've actually BOUGHT an album that way, then downloading data off a website. And it's so much better to be able to look through the artwork and photos in the booklet while you listen to the music.

Anonymous said...

These non physical formats arent my taste either...Asides all the tinny mp3's etc are so over-compressed too...Loudness war full on! *sigh* :(
One cant force such things down everyones throat, there ought to be choices!

No cover art, rotten hypercompressed tinny sound...Thats not progession, but regression! Now they come on internet streaming services etc...Similar again, and no cover art either...For me too soulless sadly, tinny crappy sound likely too...eek!

Give me dynamic musical and formats with cover art any time...Yes I prefer the real artists way!

teresa bowen said...

Very informative. Lots of people love music and me as well. Music provides essential us more specifically along with actual manage, immediately subdivide time, learn a shorthand note, reveal the times of their generation, along with coordinate muscle tissue moves yet still time using emotive force to express exactly what the audio is wanting to share. Songs is regarded as the prominent consider our lives possibly at once, nearly all indescribable.


artist advance