Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Death of Hyphy

Not that I'm a fan or anything but this is a great example of how the powers that be can crush a local music movement. As I read this I kept being reminded of my feelings toward local radio for not ever supporting my band or other talented local rock acts.

http://www.sfweekly.com/2008-02-20/news/the-demise-of-hyphy/

Specifically, [KMEL]

• yanked local rappers with buzzworthy records from rotation over petty personal beefs

• made it difficult, if not impossible, for artists not aligned with favored promoters to get access to station personnel

• ignored the advice of its own DJs on potential hit records by local artists

• put the kibosh on efforts to spread hyphy in other regions

• engaged in blatant favoritism toward certain artists, alongside other activities that contributed to the fragmentation of the local hip-hop community

• employed a two-tiered promotion system for major-label and independent acts



its a good read. Rappers are lame but it still sucks when suits shut down the local scene for political bullshit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not too big on rap myself, but this just pisses me off. No wonder awesome bands like Ednaswap and the Nymphs never got anywhere. I hope you have better luck in the future, and when I'm making music I guess I can pretty much just expect to go nowhere.